This post is sponsored by Swanson®. All opinions are my own.
Crockpot spicy sausage split pea soup is a warm, comforting and hearty winter soup. Surprisingly healthy, this is the perfect dish for entertaining out of town family and friends.
There is a chill in the air (yes, even in Phoenix), Christmas music is starting, and the holiday displays that have been out since before Halloween are starting to expand and take over. Basically it’s my (and many others’) favorite time of year!
This year we have company coming in for Thanksgiving weekend, so I’m busy planning not just Thanksgiving dinner, but an entire weekend of entertaining. Phoenix has an amazing food scene, but eating out for every meal gets expensive, and sometimes I just want to show the people I love a great time at my house with food, wine, and lots of time to catch up.
I am beyond grateful to own a house with a guest room and, in my opinion, a pretty great kitchen that I can open to my friends and family year round, but especially around the holidays. There is nothing I love more than sharing my space with the people I love, and cooking them delicious food. I’m an extrovert to the max.
When Swanson® approached me about creating some holiday dishes, I knew immediately that I wanted to create something comforting and filled with flavor. I use chicken broth all the time, but the new Flavor Infused Tuscan Chicken just takes it to the next level–it doesn’t overpower the flavor of the split pea soup, but it is perfectly spiced so that you don’t end up with bland soup.
Split pea soup is traditionally made with a ham hock, but I wanted to change things up, so I started with some garlic (obviously) and spicy turkey sausage. I just love the flavor that turkey sausage brings to a dish, plus it beefs up the protein content, and turns split pea soup into a hearty and filling meal that won’t leave your hungrier guests asking “Soup? For dinner?” Trust me. I am the hungriest of all.
All you have to do is heat the garlic in a little olive oil, then brown the meat and layer everything in your slow cooker, and let that baby cook off on low heat for 8-10 hours. You can cook it on high for less time, but I’m a firm believer of low and slow. The result is a fragrant, home-y, and impressive home cooked meal that will leave your guests happy and satisfied.
Spicy sausage split pea soup is a warm, comforting and hearty winter soup. Surprisingly healthy, this is the perfect dish for entertaining out of town family and friends.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 20 ounces spicy turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups split peas
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups Swanson® Tuscan Chicken Flavor Infused Broth
- ~1 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium low heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add turkey sausage, and cook until browned, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Transfer cooked sausage and garlic to your slow cooker. Layer split peas, carrots celery, onion, parsley and bay leaves on top. Pour broth on top and add hot sauce if desired. Do not stir. Cook on low for 8-10 hours until peas are very soft, and melt into the soup. Remove bay leaves, stir and serve. Leftovers may be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to one week.
This blog post is sponsored by Swanson®.