Homemade sweetened condensed milk made with coconut milk, maple syrup, pumpkin puree and warm fall spices. Perfect as a coffee creamer, or to replace sweetened condensed milk in any recipe. Naturally sweetened, vegan, paleo & gluten-free.
Guess what, guess what, guess whaaaaaaatttttt? It’s finally starting to feel like fall here in Phoenix! After months of running in nothing cooler than 80 degrees (even when you wake up at 4am) and insane humidity (ummm…that “dry heat” thing? it’s not), temperatures are finally dropping and there is a morning chill in the air! I FREAKING LOVE MORNING CHILL!!
In fact, yesterday I was cold at the beginning of my bike ride. Like, I thought about changing into long sleeves. I seriously could not be happier. Weather isn’t the biggest deal in the world normally, but when you’re training for a fall marathon and you live in Phoenix, you start to live and die by the weather forecast. I stalk it daily and check out the 10 day forecast every single day. In fact, today was the first day I was able to see far enough ahead for my 20 miler, and while it still will probably change before then, it’s crazy how close it is, and how close I am to being finished with training.
Marathon training is so weird. You finish your training (other than taper) 3 weeks before the race, so it still doesn’t even seem like the race is close, but then all of the sudden you’re done, and you wonder where all the time went. It feels like things just started to get real, and so soon they will be over, and even though I’ve insisted this whole training cycle that I will never run an other marathon after this, I’m already starting to feel sad about it ending.
One of my favorite things to do when I have an off day is spend the time I would be running creating something delicious / cool / unique / outside of what I would normally make on a daily basis. I love the extra time to be creative and try new things, and this time I returned to my homemade sweetened condensed milk obsession. The last time it came out so ridiculously good that I couldn’t wait to play with it, and make a flavored option.
The best part? This recipe is so, so, so easy, and you can use it tons of different ways. Have a recipe that calls for sweetened condensed milk? Sub this seasonal, vegan & paleo version. Use it as creamer in iced coffee, drizzle some on your favorite fruit for dessert, make tres leches cake (<— umm, that is happening soon), or just eat it with a spoon because it’s that good.
- 1 x 13.5 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3-4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- Heat coconut milk, pumpkin pie spice and maple syrup together in a medium sized pot over medium-high heat until it starts to lightly boil. Reduce heat to a medium to medium-low simmer whisking constantly until mixture thickens and reduces to about one half to one third of original. This takes about 30 minutes. When milk is finished, it will coat the back of a spoon. It will continue to thicken as it cools. Whisk in pumpkin puree, then let cool completely, stirring occasionally. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.