Do you guys remember the banana cream pie shake at Sonic?? OMG, I was obsessssssed with it. I would go through the Sonic drive through multiple times a week for that little gem. Creamy banana shake with crushed graham cracker? That is speaking my language. Although I always thought their whipped cream tasted a little weird. Anyone else? I am a whipped cream lover, but theirs always tasted slightly like plastic to me.
Anyway, I was obsessed with the shake, and lately my girl Sally has been making a bunch of frozen banana shake recipes. I’d been dying to try the banana soft serve craze anyway, and I was inspired to try my own so I jumped on board to recreate one of my favorite treats.
You see, I secretly thought it would never be as good as everyone says. Bananas as ice cream? The ice cream lover in me wanted to be stubborn, and I thought it was like when everyone said mashed cauliflower was like mashed potatoes. I still don’t get that one…
But the thing is, this EXCEEDED all of my expectations! In fact, it was so thick at first that I had to use that little stick for my Vitamix to press the banana pieces down and even get it to blend, and the results were so rich and creamy that I added way more milk than I originally planned. Also, I used 3 bananas because I thought I would need that many for one photo. Ummm, nope! It definitely made 3 servings that were nearly impossible to not eat all at once in one sitting (I know bananas are good for me, but somehow I believe 3 at once may be what they call “too much of a good thing”). Then if this dreamy shake wasn’t enough, the combo of the crushed graham cracker and the honey…uuugggghhhh… You guys, I just wanted to put honey and graham cracker crumbs on a huge spoon and eat it along side my shake. I loved it so much that after the first time I made it, I made it about 3 more times that week. It’s so quick, easy and will totally cure your sweet tooth!
- 2 large ripe bananas, chopped and frozen
- 2/3-1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
- Honey or agave for lining the glass
- 3-4 tbsp crushed graham cracker crumbs (use vegan and/or gluten-free graham crackers if desired)
- Light whipped cream or whipped coconut cream
- In a high quality blender, blend bananas, 2/3 cup almond milk, and vanilla. If desired, add more milk until milkshake has reached your desired creaminess. This will depend on the size of your bananas and how thick you want your shake.
- To prepare the glass, drizzle honey or agave on a small plate. Place graham cracker crumbs on a separate small plate. Roll the top of your glass to just coat it in honey/agave then graham cracker crumbs. Add prepared milkshake, then top with whipped cream or whipped coconut cream if desired. Serve immediately.