Confession: I have been planning out the dessert I wanted to make for me and Steve’s halfiversary for about a month. Last month, we went to Oregano’s with the fam to celebrate some good news for my brother Charlie. At the end of the meal, Charlie and Hank had the pizookie. If you haven’t ever had a pizookie, you are missing out on one of life’s most amazing desserts. I decided that at some point I had to recreate my own because I will most likely never order one in a restaurant again. I don’t like to use words like never, but honestly, if I get dessert out of the house, at this point I will only get frozen yogurt, or sometimes a cookie. I just don’t like eating something that I can make and make it a lot healthier.
As soon as the idea popped into my head, I knew I wanted to save it for the occasion, and it was well worth the wait! We used the cute little ceramic cups I bought at William’s Sonoma to make individualized pizookies. Have you seen the size of the restaurant ones?! It must be like 10 servings!
- Huge half baked chocolate chip cookie
- Topped with vanilla ice cream and chocolate chips
- Served warm in the skillet it is cooked in
- Yes, I know, this is not a recipe.
- Individual portions (-temptation to eat more than a serving!)
- Applesauce for butter (-fat, -calories)
- Splenda for sugar (-sugar, -calories)
- Grain sweetened chocolate chips and less of them for chocolate chips (-fat, -sugar, -calories)
- Whole wheat pastry flour for all purpose (+fiber, +protein)
- Egg white for whole egg (-fat, -calories, -cholesterol)
- Vanilla nut butter flavor for vanilla extract (+YUM)
- Low fat ice cream for regular (-fat, -calories)
yield 6 servings
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 2 tbs applesauce
- 1 tbs light whipped butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbs Splenda
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla nut butter flavoring (or flavor/extract of your choosing)
- 1/4 cup grain sweetened chocolate chips (I combined regular and white chocolate)
- 9 oz low fat vanilla ice cream
- sprinkles (optional)
1)Preheat oven to 325.
2) Using a hand mixer, combine applesauce, brown sugar and Splenda.
3) Beat in egg white and vanilla nut butter flavor.
4) Mix in baking soda, salt, and flour.
5) Fold in chocolate chips.
6) Place desired serving in individual baking dish.
7) Bake for approx 15 minutes until set, but with the inside still gooey.
8) Top with one scoop vanilla ice cream.
9) Add sprinkles.