You guys…it is HOT here. Have I mentioned that? Complained about highs of 110*?? Wahhhh, I live in Arizona and 5 months out of the year, I strongly question my life choices.
It’s okay though, because I’ve only got an other 10 days of this madness before I head to the northwest for SIX WEEKS!!! I’m starting with a little vacation in San Francisco to visit my friend Karisa with my New York Husband, then working at a theatre camp in Portland for 5 weeks. I went last summer, and this actually marks my 11th summer between my time as a first student, then counselor and now teacher. I love it. It’s my happy place, and this time of year I always need the recharge of a new environment to remind me why I love what I do.
Anyway, I guess you were maybe here to read about food? Well, I swear the heat relates to the food. You see….it’s hot (redundant, part of 1), and I don’t want to eat anything that doesn’t taste like summer. You know what is, like, the most summeriest food??? CORN!!!!
I just used the words “most summeriest”. Honestly, sometimes I’m not sure why you guys read a word a say. Oh yeah….the food.
This salad is light, refreshing and filled with “most summeriest” flavor. Fresh roasted corn, cherry tomatoes, crunchy cucumber, sweet red peppers, spicy jalapeno and protein-packed black beans come together with just a little olive oil, vinegar, some honey or agave (I love honey, but my bee loving friends are free to use agave!), fresh lime juice, and of course, my favorite food–cilantro! So many of my favorite things in one summer salad. I also love that with all the protein, it can be used as a meal, or a side dish–your choice. I’ve been eating it on the side with my 5 billion different burgers, but I also like it for lunch. However you eat it, you will love the light, fresh taste and bold flavor profile!
This simple, easy, vegan and gluten-free summer salad is refreshing, and easy to put together in bulk for lunches, dinner sides or a BBQ!
- 3 ears corn, husked
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey or agave
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 persian (or 1 large) cucumbers, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 16 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- generous pinch each salt and pepper
- Drizzle corn with 1 tbsp olive oil and roast at 400 until golden, about an hour.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, rice vinegar, honey/agave, and lime juice. Set aside.
- Cut kernels from cooked corn and place in a large bowl. Add onion, tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, jalapeno, black beans and cilantro. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Add prepared dressing and toss lightly. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.