This post is sponsored by Prego®. All opinions are my own.
All the flavors of a pepperoni pizza in an easy, cheesy, melty pizza grilled cheese. Get your pizza fix in minutes any night of the week!
Today someone asked me what kind of food I like. I started naming off all the broad categories I love: Mexican, contemporary American, sushi, etc., but then he was like “Nooooo…what specific dishes?”. Ummm…pizza? Literally all I could think of. What can I say? I’ve always been pizza obsessed.
I’ve done my fair share of making pizza at home, but let’s just say I am also naturally lazy when it comes to cooking. In fact, I’m pretty sure I lived on grilled cheese all throughout college. Even now, I’m known to have soup and cheese toast for dinner for days on end.
That is why you always need some 10 minute dinners in your back pocket. And I’m not talking about something from a box. I’m talking something with all the taste of a perfectly home cooked meal with just a little extra help to make your life easier.
All you need for this guy is some whole grain bread, sliced mozzarella, turkey pepperoni and, of course, your favorite red sauce!
Confession: I hardly ever make my own red sauce. Yes, I totally can, but at 6pm after waking up at 4am, working out, going to work and coming home, I just want a delicious dinner that doesn’t take me an hour to prepare.
So you just grill this little guy up like your normal grilled cheese. You do not, I repeat, you do not put the sauce inside the sandwich. I’ve seen it. I’ve tried it, and you end up with soggy bread. Soggy bread is not good. Don’t do that to yourself. Pour that sauce on the side and dip!
Then enjoy the heck out of that melty, gooey pizza in your sandwich!
- 4 slices whole grain bread (whole wheat, whole grain gluten-free, etc.)
- Olive oil for brushing
- 4 slices part skim mozzarella
- Pinch basil (fresh or dried)
- Pinch oregano (fresh or dried)
- 18 turkey pepperonis
- Your favorite Prego red sauce for dipping
- Heat a large grill pan, griddle or nonstick pan over medium-low heat. Brush one side of each piece of bread with a little bit of olive oil. Assemble your sandwiches layering a slice of cheese, a pinch of basil and oregano, a layer of pepperoni and the last slice of cheese.
- Place the sandwiches on prepared grill pan and grill until the bottom is browned, about 5-7 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until both sides are browned and cheese is fully melted, about an other 5-7 minutes. Serve immediately with Prego red sauce.
I love a good grilled cheese – especially when it tastes like a pizza!
Karly recently posted…Cheesy Gnocchi with Smoked Pork and Bacon
Right?! Like my two favorite foods got married! 🙂
I know this sounds kinda strange, but sometimes I actually forget about grilled cheese. But these photos made me think I need one immediately. It looks so incredibly delicious. I also love the idea of pizza flavor with the simplicity of grilled cheese. I think I’m going to be back on to grilled cheese completely now!