A year ago today, I took my Garmin on it’s first spin. I’d done 2-3 runs outside before that using my phone to track my distance/pace, but found the tracking to be really inconsistent, and quickly ordered a Garmin, hoping it would help me with my goal of completing a 5K. So, I took it out for a spin. I ran 2 miles at about an 11 min pace with multiple stops to “stretch” and I felt like I was going to die. One of my favorite things about my Garmin is that I can look back and see that this was my first logged “official” training run.
Since that day, I have completed 13 races including 4 half marathons, and in exactly 39 days (omgomgomgomg commence FREAK OUT because that is soooclose) I will cross the finish line of my dream marathon. It seems almost unreal, like I have never had a life without running, and like I just started yesterday, all at the same time. I do know that I can’t imagine my life without running. It has given me happiness, crazy runner’s high endorphins, friendships, and a crap ton of pain and frustration, but most of all, it has given me freedom. I am beyond grateful that I developed this passion, and for the journey that has just begun.
Let’s take a little stroll down memory lane to celebrate, shall we? 😉 Here’s some of my favorite running moments from the last year:
- Completing my first race.
Those 3.1 miles seemed so long. I’ll never forget the first moment I discovered what it felt like to cross the finish line. Ummm, addicting.
- My first “speedy” run with Kara followed by our first trip to Bosa Donuts!
It was our first training run at a sub 10 pace. We were OMG-SO-EXCITED, and it was the first time I caught the “I WANT TO BE FASTER” bug. Also, donuts are awesome.
- My first double digit run.
It was the first long run (other than when 4 miles was my long run) that I did solo. It was Thanksgiving day, and I had so much to be Thankful for. I finished strong, shed a few tears, then hosted one of my favorite holiday for many of my favorite people.
- My first half marathon.
Training for PF Chang’s was one of my favorite experiences of my life, and as it gets to be that same time of year again, and I am training for an other huge goal, it’s really nice to step back and look at the beginning of my journey such a short time ago. I crossed the finish line with tears in my eyes, took out my phone and it was ringing. My best friend said “Where are you?” “I’m at the finish line. I did it.” Then I cried more, and wore my medal around for about a week.
- My favorite half marathon.
The stars aligned. I had the perfect race on the perfect day with the perfect friend. I loved 2 hours 4 minutes and 59 seconds of it.
- My first track work out. GUESS WHAT!!! The track is awesome. It’s become my new favorite.
- An amazing, probably best run of my life time trial with Tali and Camille. This was the first run in oh so long that I got out of my head, trusted in how my body felt, and just ran. I had amazing company that kept me going, and I ran faster than I have in any long run, or long race for that matter. A perfect day in Portland to wrap up a summer of marathon training with people not actually training for a marathon 🙂
- The first new distance of marathon training. New distances are the only thing I love more than track. I have 2 left to tackle before the marathon, and unless I die, they will also be in my list of favorites. This was a particularly awesome run with Nicole and Stacey that was exhausting, but incredibly rewarding, and a big step in the direction of 26.2.
What’s your favorite running memory?