Ultra soft, fluffy and tall bakery style lemon blueberry buttermilk muffins. These muffins are screaming bright, summer flavor, and with their ultra soft and tender crumb, you’d never guess they were healthy and gluten-free!
Okay, so who else is ridiculously excited about season 2 of Orange is the New Black? I feel like I haven’t left the house in two days because all I want to do is stay home and watch it. Plus, I wanted to re-watch the entire first season to refresh and get myself ready for season 2!
I actually juuuussstt finished season 1, and I’m only a couple of episodes into season 2. “I think I’ll Pinterest. I hear that’s a thing.” <—–my favorite part so far. Ummm….yeah. So that’s what’s happening in my life. Also lots of swimming and a whole 13×9 pan of watermelon and tequila in my freezer because these are making a comeback. What can I say? It’s summer. Margaritas and all things citrus must be had. 😉
Something about lemons just scream summer to me. Summer is when I do a lot of my recipe testing/photography because I have some extra time to devote to the blog. Last year the first thing I did when summer vay cay started was buy a crap ton of lemons and make lemon blondies and lemon crinkle cookies. They are still two of my favorite desserts.
The bright, citrusy flavor seems to instantly make desserts more summery. Like I’m cooling off by the pool with a glass of lemonade, while simultaneously eating my weight in big, fluffy muffins. The best of both worlds if you ask me.
I also feel like lemons and blueberries are kindred spirits. Like pb & j, chocolate & hazelnut, goat cheese & my mouth. These muffins are so soft and filled to the brim with blueberries. The lemon glaze is totally optional. There is plenty of lemon flavor already there, but if you want a little extra sweetness, it’s definitely a fantastic addition. Either way, you won’t be able to get enough of these babies!
Ultra soft, fluffy and tall bakery style lemon blueberry buttermilk muffins. These muffins are screaming bright, summer flavor, and with their ultra soft and tender crumb, you'd never guess they were healthy and gluten-free!
- 3 cups gluten-free baking blend orwhite whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 small lemon, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1 and 1/4 cup fresh blueberries (preferably organic)
- Preheat oven to 425. Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray, or line with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together baking blend, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, applesauce, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla until combined. Stir in half the dry ingredients, then buttermilk, then remaining dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Evenly divide batter between 12 standard muffin tins. Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 and continue to bake for an other 17-20 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean (with just a few crumbs).
- Let stand for 10 minutes, then serve or transfer to a wire rack. Drizzle with this lemon glaze if desired. Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3-5 days. For best results do not add glaze until ready to serve.
The muffins will get quite brown and you will think you have overcooked them. The almond meal and whole grain flours yield a darker muffin. As long as you bake for suggested time and do not over mix, your muffins should come out perfectly baked, soft and tender!
Christine from Cook the Story says
Your muffins are just popping off of the monitor, begging me to bite them!
Jamie @ couchtoironwoman says
I haven’t seen Orange is the New Black, but I feel like I would like it!
Lemon and blueberry is a great combination, I like blueberry lemonade!
Linz @ Itz Linz says
muffins are a great breakfast! and a snack. and a dessert. i like muffins.
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted…Healthy Edible Cookie Dough
Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com says
You have my undying respect for doing all of this baking in AZ in the summer! I’m here looking for ways to use my fridge and ice cream maker for 3 months straight. 🙂 Love these muffins!