I love to bake, but my #1 hands down favorite dessert will always be anything involving ice cream or fro-yo. In fact, sometimes if I get fro-yo as an afternoon snack, I find myself still eating some after dinner for dessert. I can’t even keep ice cream in the house, or it’s bad news.
One of my favorite ways to eat ice cream is a thick and creamy malted milk shake. What is it about malt powder that automatically makes things delicious?? I love sitting down at an old school diner and ordering a vanilla malt. I haven’t had one in years because shakes have more calories than almost any dessert out there. I never stopped craving them, so I made my own smaller ones using nonfat fro-yo and almond milk. Let me tell you, they taste exactly like the real deal!
I made them for my mom and she told me they were her favorite thing I’ve ever made! They are definitely on my favorites list also. Thick, creamy and perfect for the summer (not that I don’t drink shakes in December…), these are sure to cool you off and take you back in time without giving you the gross ate-too-much-ice-cream feeling. You can make these whatever flavor you want–chocolate, caramel, the possibilities are endless! Also, this makes a fairly small shake (about 1 cup). You are free to double the portions if desired. I kept it closer to what I consider (and what do I even know? 😉 ) to be a healthy-ish dessert portion, but I’m not going to tell you how much fro-yo to eat. 😉
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt (or chocolate, or any flavor you like), I used Stoneyfield
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup malted milk powder
- Light whipped cream and sprinkles for topping, optional
- Blend frozen yogurt, almond milk and malted milk powder in a blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Serve topped with whipped cream and sprinkles if desired.