Tonight is an other Starbucks birthday! In about an hour, Steve and I will be heading out to PF Chang’s to celebrate our friend Eddie’s birthday. In case you missed Kara’s and Bekki’s birthday posts, I am the resident birthday treat maker and Steve is the resident photographer amongst this group 🙂 Eddie asked for peanut butter chocolate rice krispy treats, and although I was less than excited (these are so easy!), I’m a good listener 🙂 And it ended up being nice because they were fast and I ended up really liking them. Plus they are one of the least unhealthy desserts anyway, so I didn’t have to make too many adjustments.
While I started “baking”, Steve played with his fancy new camera lens and insisted on taking pictures of me. He caught me with only one chin–that’s all it takes to make me happy in a picture 🙂
Maybe next time, he should let me shut the fridge first 😉 Anyway, onto the recipe!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats
yield 25 servings
- 10 oz marshmallows (I used organic vanilla ones from Whole Foods. They’re made with Kosher gelatin so my dad can approve! 🙂 )
- 2 tbs Peanut Butter & Co White Chocolate Wonderful (or any pb you like really), divided 1 1/2 tbs & 1/2 tbs
- 1 tsp vanilla nut butter flavoring
- 6 cups chocolate brown rice cereal such as Koala Crisp
- 1 tbs fat free half and half
- 1/4-1/3 cup grain sweetened chocolate chips
1) Place marshmallows, vanilla nut butter and 1 1/2 tbs peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for approx 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until marshmallow and peanut butter melt together when mixed.
2) Mix in cereal 1 cup at a time.
3) Transfer into wax papered & sprayed 13×9 pan.
4) Use a sprayed piece of wax paper to push down and evenly distribute.
5) Evenly disperse chocolate chips, pressing them in upside down.
6) Melt remaining 1/2 tbs peanut butter in the microwave.
7) Stir in 1 tbs fat free half and half and a drop of vanilla nut butter.
8 ) Spread in a thin layer on top of bars.
9) Let cool for 1 hour, cut and enjoy!
Notice how AMAZING Steve’s photography is getting? Look at that!
I may or may not have already sampled them…