For the last 4 months, I have had one big goal in mind: 13.1. It’s always weird when you accomplish something and don’t have an other big goal lined up immediately. A gray area with no specific goals, and what feels like a lack of direction. I know that I need a goal, and I know that I WANT a goal. I saw a shirt during the race that said “The finish line is just the beginning.” I love that.
Well, of course I’ve kind of been thinking about what would come next, since I figured out I’d actually be able to make it through the half. I’ll be honest, when I first decided I wanted to do PF Chang’s, I more decided to train than race. I mean, I wanted to race, but I wasn’t anywhere near confident I’d actually make it there. I don’t know exactly when my mind changed, but I think it was when I did my 10 mile solo run. As soon as I knew I could do it, my mind started to wonder “What else did you always tell yourself you could never do?” I knew the answer immediately, and I didn’t make it much of a secret. Let’s be honest, I put it out there for the world to see in my 2o12 goals.
But in case you missed that, let me put it out there for realsies.
I want to run a full marathon.
Duh. I know I want to run a full, and I know that with the right training, I can. The question is when. And that is what I would like help with from you fabulous people. There are two that I am strongly considering, and I don’t know which way to go. I would also be open to a different suggestions 🙂
RnR San Diego June 3 2012
- It is sooner rather than later! I’m already on the training bandwagon–why stop now?
- It ends at Sea World. ‘Nuff said.
- I love San Diego, and it’s only a 6 hour drive.
- Is it too soon? Would I actually be ready by June?
- I’d probably have to drive back that night, or take the entire next week off work and not get paid (it’s complicated, but it’s how most summer work would be).
- In case you haven’t noticed, AZ is a HOT place and by May, it’s already in the 100s. Can you imagine doing a 20 miler in those temps?
RnR Phoenix 2013
- Close to home, wouldn’t have to go anywhere.
- Winter training.
- More time to work up to it,
- I said I wanted to do a full in 2012. That is 2013.
- Is it too far away to be motivating?
- I’m going to run 26 miles and I don’t even get to go on vacation?!
- It does NOT end at Sea World.
I know there are lots of other non RnR races out there too, and I would be totally open to trying a different one. RnR just makes it so easy with their little packets and all their course dates, and both of those races fall at times that I think I could make work. I would love to hear your opinions as I weigh things out in my brain for a bit!
I also have an other goal 🙂 I never expected to finish PF Chang’s in 2 hours and 14 minutes! When I first started, I was anticipating something like 2:45! I totally surprised myself and now I want to get faster! I really want a nice, shiny, sub 2:10 finish time. I want to run more half marathons, 10Ks and 5Ks and I want to get faster and better and more confident! I’m pretty sure I’m going to sign up for the Lost Dutchman 1/2 Marathon on Feb 19, but that’s all I’ve got so far. Thanks, Diana, for the recommendation! Any other races that I should be thinking of?