Bright, citrusy, lemon gluten-free waffles stuffed with fresh blueberries. Slightly crisp on the outside; soft and pillowy on the inside. So good you’ll want to eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I almost never make breakfast. I mean, I do…it’s called Greek yogurt + a chopped apple + chia seeds + honey + granola, or occasionally oatmeal. That’s about as thrilling as it gets in these parts.
I do love breakfast foods, and whenever I find an excuse to host brunch, I always get nerdily excited about new pancake and waffle combinations I can create. You see, I am a morning routine person. I eat the same two things for breakfast every single morning, and it makes me feel good, like all is right in world. Yeah, yeah…I am a total freak about things that don’t matter. It’s cool.
So usually I eat things like eggs, waffles and pancakes for dinner. I love it. I get excited all day when it’s on the meal plan, and I’ve actually been trying to schedule breakfast for dinner in once a week lately. All because of these waffles. Because they were that good.
A couple of weeks ago, I invited my family over for dinner. When they came in and I announced that we were having breakfast for dinner, my mom was so excited. She couldn’t get over the idea (it seemed so foreign to her), and as we ate she told me that she felt like she was in a diner, but with better food. I love her.
I was so insanely happy with how these waffles turned out. Like, I even saved the leftover batter to make more when there was really only enough for one more waffle because they were just so crazy good. The bright lemon flavor shines and the blueberries almost melt into the waffle when smashed with the waffle iron.
They have that perfectly crispy waffle exterior while still being light and soft on the inside, and my family kept asking me if they were really gluten-free. Yes, they are. But you will never know. Of course (as always) you can sub in whatever flour you like, but I legit love this baking blend more than any other flour I’ve ever used.
Bright, citrusy, lemon gluten-free waffles stuffed with fresh blueberries. Slightly crisp on the outside; soft and pillowy on the inside. So good you'll want to eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free baking blend (or white whole wheat flour)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 small lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2/3 cup blueberries, preferably organic
- In a large bowl whisk together baking blend, cornstarch, baking soda and sea salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, coconut oil, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice and honey. Gently fold wet ingredients into flour mixture until just combined and some small lumps remain. Do NOT over mix. Gently fold in blueberries. Let batter stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron and spray with nonstick spray. Transfer a heaping 1/4 cup of batter onto prepared waffle iron and cook until golden, about 5-7 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately. Leftovers may be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker
But wait! There’s more! Some of my favorite bloggers and I are giving away a 3 piece Dansk Cookware set including a 6 quart casserole, 2 quart saucepan, and round baker. Giveaway starts at 12:00am EST March 12th and ends at 11:59 pm EST March 19th. Open to US residents age 18 and older.
Check out the other bloggers I’ve teamed up with:
Healthy-Delicious | Savvy Eats | The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie | Bakeaholic Mama | Always Order Dessert | Taste Love and Nourish | Little Ferraro Kitchen | Girl in the Little Red Kitchen | The Adventure Bite | Big Bears Wife