I’ve developed this kind of ridiculous hot dog obsession. Kinda like the hamburger one, but ya know, with hot dogs. A couple of weeks ago after the 3rd consecutive hot dog recipe, Hermano asked when the heck I decided I liked hot dogs so much.
The truth is, I’ve always been a fan, but unless it was an enormous Cost Co hot dog, it just never seemed like a full meal to me, and I always wanted a hamburger to go with it.
So I decided to make a hot dog that sounds sinful and over the top, but is really healthy enough to eat 2, or eat 1 with a big ol’ side of veggies which is more my style these days.
The low fat beef hot dogs combined with the center cut bacon add healthy meat options that are full of flavor. The sweet barbecue sauce and roasted corn pair perfectly with the salty dog, and then everything is better with cheddar cheese. It’s like a fact. These babies are perfect for 4th of July, any summer cookout, or any time you feel like firing up the grill!
- 2 low fat beef or turkey dogs (I used Hebrew National 45 calorie beef)
- 2 whole grain hot dog buns (use gluten-free if applicable)
- 1 slice center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tbsp low sugar barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp roasted corn kernels
- 2 tbsp roasted corn kernels
- 2 generous pinches grated reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 pinches finely chopped scallions
- Grill hot dogs over medium heat until warmed throughout, about 5 minutes.
- Place hot dogs inside buns and top each dog with ½ slice cooked bacon, 1 tbsp barbecue sauce, 1 tbsp roasted corn, a generous pinch of cheddar cheese and a pinch of chopped scallions. Serve immediately.
sharing….and maybe making for my HEBREW NATIONAL LOVING CHILD 🙂
Yesss!! I was raised on the Hebrew National and it was always my mom’s favorite too! 🙂
Kierston @candyfit says
I can’t remember the last time I had a hot dog! Looks tasty 🙂
I totally forgot how awesome they are! Thanks Kierston!
Linz @ Itz Linz says
omg my grandpa would go nuts over these! maybe i’ll make him some and bring them over and officially get the “favorite granddaughter” award haha
That’s awesome!! I love making special food for people that I KNOW will make their day. It’s my favorite! 🙂
Katy @ Katy's Kitchen says
Maybe with your new hot dog obession you’ll come up with a black bean “dog”, Ari style!!
Ummm best idea ever???
What she said. That’d be BOMB.
Chris C says
These look freaking amazing! I think I am going to do this for the 4th! I was worried about that day and eating healthy, but this gave me hope!
Awwww that’s awesome!!! Thanks so much Chris!!
What a great topping!
Everyone should eat more hot dogs!
I still can’t handle BBQs where there are hot dogs AND hamburgers. Snaps to you for bulking up the hotdog to fill you up. #nowillpower
I mean, I will always want one of each. You know us. 😉
Jamie @ couchtoironwoman says
Those look good! I would use turkey hot dogs and turkey bacon. Mike and I like to make different hot dogs, we’ve put coleslaw on them before, and they are so easy to grill in the summer!
That sounds awesome too!